Sunday, December 30, 2007

Best of times, worst of times

Top 5 books
* The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion. I had been avoiding it for fear of getting too upset, but I found her descriptions of the grief of losing someone essential to be comfortingly familiar.
* No one belongs here more than you, Miranda July. July is so hot right now! And now I see why. Loved it.
* Lucky, Alice Sebold. I have been avoiding this one for years although I adored The Lovely Bones. But after hearing Sebold speak as part of the City Lights and Lectures series I decided to dive in, and it was actually oddly funny and life-affirming.
* Hibiscus Coast, Paula Morris. She is so clever. Made me miss NZ.
* Plan B, Anne Lamott. Another of Lamott's books that I will read over and over.

Top 5 San Francisco
* Hearing Anne Lamott speak at the Jewish Community Center. One of my absolute favourite authors and she is so funny and wise.
* Sailing on the Bay on a gorgeous sunny autumn day. Magic.
* Sipping a margarita while watching darnkess fall on the city from a cozy table at the Carnelian Room.
* Watching the Blue Angels streak across the city from our roof.
* Riding the cable car up California St on a wet and windy night.

5 Most ridiculous
* Winchester Mystery House, San Jose. Is it really so mysterious that this disturbed woman (heiress of the Winchester rifle fortune) would incorporate the number 13 into her home? Or spider web patterns? What is truly mysterious is why people would buy any of the crap they sell in the gift shop.
* Paying $9 to motor down 17-Mile Drive in Carmel. Puh-lease.
* Paxton Gate, Mission St. I go to visit the taxidermied mice dressed like punks and popes.
* Adults dressed like sexy nurses and sexy superheroes and sexy vampires going to the office on Halloween.
* The guy who disguises himself as a bush (he holds branches in both hands and fixes branches to his back and head) and scares people at Fisherman's Wharf. Then they give him money.

I can think of other highlights and lowlights but that's enough for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ホストよく知られているイベントこの種のとして、年に一度ラ車展示12 月に開催。を奨励するは完全な品揃えの低締結日光眼鏡。そう確実あなた don't投資軽度超過重量バージョン。|。オークリーのレンズ スタンプする必要がありますが、顕著な優れたエッチングします。機会あなたショップ、インターネット上、よ遭遇ちょうど約ハンドバッグを。1973 年彼ら継続的なに滞在事前にの状況と導入ダッフル バッグと、1979 年にルー Franford に参加、チームに取得それらしかしもう一度にもう量。

Feel free to surf to my site オークリーサングラス

Anonymous said...

個人が、非常に顔図形とそれは確かになぜすべての私たちのですユニークな。

My web-site :: oakley