Thursday, April 26, 2007

Too mean

I'm working on a story about New Zealand identity, which has been a very interesting exercise. I am feeling more Kiwi than I do when I'm in NZ, no surprise I guess, because I feel most American when I am not here. My editors found the introductory paragraphs a bit mean, and I take their point. They have been removed from the story. But I still like them. So here they are.
***
"That's an interesting accent, darlin'. Where ya from?" asks a heavily made-up woman selling Navajo jewelry and pottery at a Santa Fe boutique. She is a riot of color, a bespectacled parrot wearing a squash blossom necklace.
"New Zealand," I answer with a tight mouth, knowing--hating--what comes next.
"Oh," she says, lazily polishing the counter on which she leans, her eyes narrowing as she mentally refers to a globe. "Where's that? Is it near Nova Scotia? No? Part of Greenland?"
"Try the Southern Hemisphere," I say, less gracious than I would like. "You know where Australia is?"
"Oh! You're that island at the bottom of Australia! The little triangle."
"No," I say, defeated, "that's Tasmania."
As my husband and I drove across the United States last autumn--from New York to San Francisco via Lisbon Falls, Maine and Tucumcari, New Mexico--we had dozens of conversations like this. They were funny at first. Then annoying. Then humiliating. Who wants to originate from a place so insubstantial as to be left off some world maps?
***
I guess I do.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Well, it's only really mean because it's true. Really like your writing style, by the way. What chicken magazine wouldn't run that?

Jellygirl said...

The chicken magazine that's just hired me for real (no more contracting from week to week, yah!), bless them. Their point--and it's valid as much as it meant a rewrite I could have done without--was that the mag's readership is smarter and more sophisticated than the average American, and would find my assessment of middle America a bit...obvious. And I so hate to be obvious. Still, I did have fun with the parrot in her squash blossom necklace...

Sam said...

That's great news about the job! Good point though, San Francisco is a world away from small town America ... thank God.